Monday, October 8, 2012

OLD SHELDON CHURCH RUINS

A morsel of genuine history
is a thing so rare as to be
always valuable.

~Thomas Jefferson




















About ten minutes from
my home, located on the
road I travel to one of my
son's home, are the ruins
of an old church, Sheldon Church.
Often times I barely glance
in its direction as I am so
use to it being there, but
the other day I stopped to
take a few pictures to
share with you. It really is
a lovely, although to me sad,
place. Scattered around the ruins
are numerous graves, many
of them belonging to infants.
Once a year a church service is
held, although I have never
attended as I am not Baptist.
On weekends it is not uncommon
to see a wedding taking place
or visitors enjoying a picnic.
There is a place to have electricity
and a working hand pump that
brings to the surface  the most
wonderfully cold water from a
natural spring. If you are ever
in the area, I do hope that you
will stop by and have a look
around, and give me a call, I'll
meet you there!
Much love,
Tracey

19 comments:

  1. These photos are so beautiful, Tracey! How fortunate to have such a treasure so near to home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Tracey. I will add this to my list of things to visit when I am down your way in the new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post...I used to live in Columbia...and I've been to Sheldon...I loved it...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it does seem sad tracey, but so beautiful at the same time. it was lovely of you to share and i really do hope to meet you there someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you have quenched our curiosity - funny thing is I have an Aunt Mary Bull myself wife of Harry Bull in the UK - Uncle Harry was a paratrooper during WWII. What a lovely find albeit a touch sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love old ruins. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing Tracey. Such lovely ruins in their own right, but certainly a little sad too. Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  8. these photos really evoke a feeling of peacefulness...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and solemn. This weekend we drove past so many sites like that, the rain kept us from getting out to explore but I hope to go back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cemeteries and old churches. To me it is not sad but sweet to see the past thrive in the now. You captured some fantastic shots! I would slink into one of the services in the back and try hard not to kneel, genuflect or bless myself to try to fit in during a service :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have such an eye to capture the essence of a place! I love wandering around old grave sites---reading old gravestones; even done some rubbings a long time ago. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. the two photos with the tree's roots growing over and the tree trunk engulfing the ruin are definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful place! Your pictures captured it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so pretty! and funny how similar it is to architecture down here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful. Maybe someday when the kids and I are venturing toward the grandparents in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful! I can imagine that it would be very easy to spend a great deal of time there just soaking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Incredibly beautiful... the feeling of melancholy comes through your lovely photos.
    Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How great to have this so near to you. My husband is a photographer and he would love it. Your photos are always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete