Monday, November 14, 2011

A RECIPE FOR YOU

"[Breadbaking is] one of those
almost hypnotic businesses,
like a dance from some ancient
ceremony. It leaves you filled
with one of the world's sweetest
 smells...there is no chiropractic
 treatment, no Yoga exercise,
 no hour of meditation in a
music-throbbing chapel
that will leave you emptier
 of bad thoughts than this
homely ceremony of making bread."
 ~M. F. K. Fisher, ‘The Art of Eating’



A simple recipe
for a simple roll.
Enjoy!
xx

Yeast Rolls

5 cups all-purpose flour [I use bread]
1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups milk, scalded and cooled  to lukewarm
2 packages dry yeast [ or 5 teaspoons]
3 egg yolks [ I use whole egg]
1/3 cup melted butter

Place warm milk, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add yeast, egg yolks and 2 cups flour, beat throughly. Add butter and beat well. Add remaining flour gradually, using just enough to make a dough slightly softer than for bread.

Turn out on a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, adding flour as necessary. Place dough in a greased bowl and brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise until double in bulk.

Gently deflate and knead dough, shape as desired and let rise in warm place until double in size. Bake in hot oven [400 degrees] 15 - 20 minutes.
Brush tops with melted butter.

18 comments:

  1. They look and sound amazing -- thank you for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you freeze them after they're baked or before they're baked? I'm a bread-baking newbie. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look mouth-watering! I haven't cooked or baked here for weeks thanks to all of the wonderful post-baby meals we've received, but I'm gearing up for it :) Thanks for the recipe, Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness, these look amazing. as soon as i'm able to eat bread again, i will make your rolls. i've already copied down the recipe, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drooling and bookmarking at the same time--thank you!!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just in time for my Thanksgiving table! I think I'll give it a dry run today...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are definitely going on the t-giving menu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy for tummy!
    I agree they would be a great addition to the thanksgiving meal!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I am going to make these over Christmas when Mom is here to enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. woohoo! I had the husband pick up some yeast for me the other day and I was just browsing for a recipe. Think I might try these out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homemade bread or a good baguette is always a welcome in our house. I can't seem to keep it stocked! I say, bread, cheese, a glass of wine...perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look so good I can smell them. And now I want some! Thanks for sharing the recipe… xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband would love this! Thanks for sharing. Tracey you are so incredibly sweet and tender-hearted. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers. So good to back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Baking bread is a ceremony isn't it? These look delicious and just in time for Thanksgiving too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love fresh rolls here! Mmm, yours sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I'm going to have to try this! I've only done loaves so far, no rolls. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete