I do like a little
bit of butter to
~ A.A. Milne,
When We Were
A wonderful bread to
serve at tea time...
Buttermilk Honey Bread
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup warm water [110 degrees]
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon salt
6 1/2 cups bread flour
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes.
2. Combine buttermilk, butter, honey and the yeast mixture in a large mixing
bowl. Add salt and two cups of the flour. Mix well. Continue adding flour, a
cup at a time until well combined. Knead until soft and elastic.
3. Place in a well oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover and allow to rise until
double in volume, about an hour.
4. Punch down and divide in half. Shape as desired and let rise until double in
size, about 40 minutes.
5. Bake at 375 degrees in a preheated oven until tops are golden brown and
the bottoms of the loaves sound hollow when tapped.