Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ROSEMARY

"There's Rosemary for you,
 that's for remembrance!
 Pray you, love remember."

~ William Shakespeare
   [Ophelia in 'Hamlet']




I have a beautiful
fifteen year old
rosemary plant
in my yard:
It is six feet tall
and always has
flowers covering it:
I need to
remember to
use a lot more
rosemary in
my cooking.

Played around
in the kitchen
and created a
sweet-savory
candy that  is
being inhaled
around here. xx


Almond-Rosemary Butter Crunch

1 cup whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons raw honey
3 Tablespoons water
1/4 cup fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped

1. Butter a 13x9x2 baking pan. Set aside.

2. Roast almonds at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes, stirring
    occasionally, until lightly brown. Set aside to cool.

3. Combine butter, sugar, honey and water in a medium saucepan.
    Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to 300 degrees on a
   candy thermometer.

4. Remove from heat and stir in almonds and rosemary. 
   Quickly spread in prepared pan. Cool until firm. Break
   into serving pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I first saw a Rosemary bush on a visit to my daughter's in the Central Coast area of California.

    The bushes were used as a hedge at a lovely café.

    Until that time I thought it was an annual.

    The aroma is just darn wonderful, but you'd thought about a rosemary candy?

    Tracey, kimchi,
    almond-rosemary butter crunch ! !

    Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an award-winning recipe to me! :)I love rosemary and toffee. I will give it a whirl when I have some free time. I think I would like to try it with a thin layer of really fine dark chocolate on top.

    ReplyDelete