Thursday, November 7, 2013

IN THE DEEP FALL


In the deep fall
    don't you imagine the leaves think how
comfortable it will be to touch
    the earth instead of the
nothingness of air and the endless
    freshets of wind? And don't you think
the trees themselves, especially those with mossy,
    warm caves, begin to think
of the birds that will come — six, a dozen — to sleep
    inside their bodies? And don't you hear
the goldenrod whispering goodbye,
    the everlasting being crowned with the first
tuffets of snow? The pond
    vanishes, and the white field over which
the fox runs so quickly brings out
    its blue shadows. And the wind pumps its
bellows. And at evening especially,
    the piled firewood shifts a little,
longing to be on its way.

~ Mary Oliver.













This fall week has brought...

My one and only son in 
love home from Afghanistan
and while I am thankful for
the freedom his job brings
to all of us I am happy he
is home safe and unharmed. 

I knit another bird. I think
I may have a new addiction.

The mail delivered
Christmas yarn for 

gift making...
Malabrigo Silkapaca and 
Malabrigo Arroyo. I can't 
wait to cast on and just
hope I have enough time
for the projects I have picked
out.

A friend brought over just
picked lemons and then being
inspired when I read this to
make my own. Thank you
Amanda.

I have joined with Linda once again
for the Christmas Ornament Swap
and Jennifer for this round
of Love Notes.

Since the time change I have
been able to get out early-
early in the morning to walk, listen
to The Kitchen House, and prepare
for the day, while the evenings
have been spent quietly sipping
chai in my favorite mug, knitting,
and falling asleep much earlier
than normal only to wake a few
hours later. On the positive
side if I can't sleep at least 
I am getting things accomplished.

It's been a good week and
I hope yours was too.

Much Love,
Tracey


14 comments:

  1. So very happy to hear your son in law is home safe and sound Tracey. Those birds are so cute.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yarn is beautiful! Yay in your sil being home and safe. I love lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds lovely. and those birds are super sweet. i might have to knit up a few for around here.
    have an amazing weekend.
    so glad your son is home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad he's home safe and sound (I love your phrase "son in love"! :)

    That yarn looks yummy. The lemons look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "tweet tweet", I love your birds :) I am happy for you that your family is home safe, one less thing to worry about, right?? Beautiful photos today, seeing your autumn is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home to your Son in Love! So glad everyone is safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful news about your son. I know you must be elated and so very relieved. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes to bed earlier! Happy to hear your SIL is home safe and sound. Here's hoping he doesn't have to go back any time soon. The orange yarn is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the week continued to be beautiful for you. Having your "son in love" home safely, that tea and yarn must have made for an awesome week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always nice (understatement) when they arrive back home, isn't it? My brother in law has served to many times in dangerous places and we find ourselves on our knees on his behalf. Freedom has a high price, I think, for too many. I find myself up earlier and am enjoying the quiet of the house as the dark of night fades to gray and then the new day arrives. Always enjoy visiting you here, Tracey. :) Have a great weekend, my friend, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending positive wishes that you have time to cast on that beautiful yarn.
    Glad to hear that your "son in love" , is home safe. :)
    Enjoy your time and thank you for sharing your beautiful week with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this poem Tracey. It's making me remember fall! I love this honey tea. My jar is a little low, but I just got a few meyer lemons from a friend so thanks for the reminder about this recipe. I love to add ginger to mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. where have i been?? that I missed this post....so glad your family is all together...now it will really be a very very thankful Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete